Steve Litt wrote:
On Thursday 08 February 2007 13:36, Gerard Ateshian wrote:

I wrote a perl script, renumber.pl, for renumbering equations in LyX
(attached).

I think before you can post this on the Internet and have people use it, you need to give it a license -- GPL V2, GPL V3, BSD, whatever. Until you do that it's just proprietary software, and it's unlikely anyone will improve upon it.

Assuming Gerard's script is entirely original work, why bother with a license? I'd just put it in the public domain. A license is only necessary if the author wants to restrict rights, and for a relatively small, simple program that hardly seems necessary.

Of course, some authors do license such materials for ideological reasons; but even now in the AS (After Stallman) era, it's quite common to put short scripts, code snippets, and the like right into the public domain and let anyone - evil, money-grubbing corporations included - use them as they see fit.

(I had a short polemic about the diminishment of the public domain ready, but this isn't the place for it.)

--
Michael Wojcik