Tom Schlangen schrieb:

the mentioned installer, released today (February, 19th) has a language problem:
Although the installer language correctly is identified as "Deutsch" and also
"Deutsch" was selected for the LyX frontend language to be used, after installation the
frontend shows up in English language. (1.4.4-1 did it right).
But the help texts (menu option "help") are correctly installed in their German
versions (as far as available), though.

I don't currently know why this happens, but it works fine with this installer:
http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/LyXWinInstaller

By the way, besides chosing the frontend language during installation, is there
any option / method to change the frontend language afterwards w/o
re-installation?

You have to go to the registry and change the value of the environment variable "Lang" to "de_DE". In contrary the installer I mentioned above uses a file named "lyx.bat" to set LyX's menu language. You can easily change there the value of "Lang".

regards Uwe