Hi, Steve,

    I haven't tried it yet for single-column mode (I use it for *forcing* a
3-columned index), but the package "multicol"
http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/multicol.html might work
for you. In my preamble, I have the following:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Index is 3 columns, with bold letter headers
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\usepackage{multicol}
\newcommand\NrCol{3}
\renewenvironment{theindex}{%
\columnseprule \z@
\columnsep 35\p@
\section*{\indexname}%
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
\begin{multicols}{\NrCol}%
\thispagestyle{plain}\parindent\z@
\parskip\z@ [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
}{\clearpage\end{multicols}}

   I suspect this could be adapted to your case, though I'm not entirely sure
how.

          Best wishes!

                   Curtis O.

          Down with categorical imperative!

[EMAIL PROTECTED]      or     [EMAIL PROTECTED]