Thanks Richard,

Indeed that worked with a default index, but by the time I got through
redefining \theindex to be 1 column, tocbibind no longer worked its magic.

I think I'm looking for a much lower level solution, like some way to mark the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] to insert itself in the table of contents. I
know it's doable because you can insert a section* or just about anything
else in the table of contents if you use the right command -- I just couldn't
find that command.

Thanks

SteveT