> Hi Charles,
>
> I've fixed all your problems. At least the formatting comes out
> correct when I run your document.
>
> Here you should use as your preamble. Get rid of the previous stuff I
> told you to add.
>
> \makeatletter
> \renewcommand\tableofcontents{%
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     \else
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     \fi
>     \chapter*{\contentsname
>     \thispagestyle{empty}
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>            \MakeUppercase\contentsname}{\MakeUppercase\contentsname}}%
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     }
>
> \renewcommand\listoftables{%
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     \else
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     \fi
>     \chapter*{\listtablename}%
>     \thispagestyle{empty}
>     \addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{LIST OF TABLES}
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>           \MakeUppercase\listtablename}%
>          {\MakeUppercase\listtablename}%
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     }
> \renewcommand\listoffigures{%
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     \else
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     \fi
>     \chapter*{\listfigurename}%
>     \thispagestyle{empty}
>     \addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{LIST OF FIGURES}
>       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>               {\MakeUppercase\listfigurename}%
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>     }
>     \makeatother
>
> Let me explain what I am doing. It is simple and worth your while to
> understand because as a  physicist I assume you will be using latex
> again.
>
> First, in order to redefine the command, I had to start off with a
> makeatletter command. This tells latex to look at symbols such as "@"
> and not to choke. I end this special environment with a makeatother.
> You only need to do this if you are redefining something very basic.
>
> Next, I renenew the commands for the toc, lot, and lof. In order to
> find out what these commands were, I opened up the report.cls and
> simply cut and paste. So for the listoftables, every line is the
> same as it was in the report class *except for 2 lines.* these two
> lines are:
>
>  \thispagestyle{empty}
>  \addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{LIST OF TABLES}
>
> I added these commands right after the \chapter command, because that
> is where they would normally have to go. For instance, if you wrote
> this latex code:

> [...]

Hi Paul,
 That worked!!  Thank you so much for the help and your patience.  It
was a very good learning experience!  I am still very new to LaTex and
Lyx, but its people like you and mailing lists like this who help make
things understandable.
   I actually have a few smaller other problems that I would like to
ask, but the most annoying one right now has to due with figure
placement.  I use the Float-figure command to insert images(which I
renamed to have no spaces, thanks paul) and sometimes the caption gets
cut off and shows up on the next page.  So if the image is near the
bottom of the page, the caption wont be with with it, and will just be a
single line at the top of the next page.  I have tried the various place
float here options in Lyx, but nothing seems to work.  Is there any
command to insert in to fix this?
Again, thanks alot!
Charles