John Pye wrote:

Thanks for replying. I tried pasting the degree symbol and viewing with
pdflatex. All looks fine. I pasted some accented latin-1 letters as
well, all worked fine.

Well, that's good, anyway.

When I ran the debug thing like you said, I got some crazy output.

[I've snipped the output, in case the non-ASCII characters pose problems for other readers.]

It appears that LyX is producing control characters in its debug output here, and that's changing the output character set in the tty where you ran lyx.

I don't know why LyX would be doing that - if it's a bug, or caused by something in your environment. It's been a long time since I ran LyX on Linux. (I actually prefer a Unix/Linux environment, but because I have to do most of my development work on Windows, it's easier to run LyX there.)

You could probably suppress that by filtering the LyX output through something to strip out the control characters. For example:

lyx -dbg key 2>&1 | tr -dc '[:print:]\n'

That should remove all characters that aren't printable, except newline.

Warning: this system's locale uses Unicode.
Language code:en_US
Setting new encoding for Qt:iso8859-1

Maybe the Unicode locale is a problem; you could try using a different locale, just to see if that has any effect.

Other than that, I don't have any ideas. I haven't had to muck about with LyX's input handling on Linux.

--
Michael Wojcik