Oisin Feeley wrote:
> On 3/6/07, Richard Heck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Oisin Feeley wrote:
>> > Comments in PDF seem to be something that's only available using
>> the official Adobe toolchain [snip].
>> Thanks. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. But it really is silly.
> Not from the Adobe's perspective -- they're making plenty of money by
> monopolising the standard and producing the tools for that.
Yes, of course.
> I'm not quite clear as to whether you can use the ordinary Adobe
> Reader to produce the comments though.
Yes, you can, and even on Linux. Lots of publishers are making use of
this facility now. So the only thing one needs---not that it wouldn't be
nice to have a free viewer that did the same thing---is a way to enable
the facility for PDFs one produces using free software. The AREnable
program that has been mentioned looks as if it will do this, but it runs
only on Windows. Maybe it could be adapted to Linux. But it's written in
VB.NET and uses the PDFSharp library, which is also a Windows
phenomenon. But is it possible these would run under Mono? I don't know
enough about Mono even to know how to find out.

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://bobjweil.com/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto