Here I get exactly the same output as in the
symbols file.

Here ding{166} in Pakin is a black leaf with a small white hole and the leaf is surrounded by its stem which is an almost completed circle, while ding{166} in LyX gives a solid black leaf that hangs by its stem from a small horizontal branch. It's the latter I wanted, and that's why I didn't find it in Pakin. Weird.

Bruce