Thanks a lot, Paul. The issue does not relate to previews etc. I have digged myself.

The issue relates to the LyX-MikTeX interaction and warrants some changes in LyX, I think.

If I embed Fig1.pdf and export to pdflatex, Lyx generates

\includegraphics[width=0.8\columnwidth,keepaspectratio]{Fig1}

If I compile this, a new file "Fig1.png" is generated. This is the pixeled version which is used for the output.

If I change the above line in the pdflatex file to

\includegraphics[width=0.8\columnwidth,keepaspectratio]{Fig1.pdf}

the output is o.k.

Maybe it would be good not to truncate picture names in LyX. (In earlier version there was the issue, for instance, that LyX selected Fig1.eps even if Fig1.pdf was selected in the manuscript. This is a disturbing feature.)

Cheers

Ekkehart

Paul Rubin wrote:

Ekkehart Schlicht wrote:

    Hi,

I just starting writing a paper. I embed a vector graphic in PDF format. When exporting (or viewing) it via pdflatex, I get a pixel graphic in the output file. I did not experience this in older versions. Maybe something has been changed, or maybe I overlooked something, or maybe it is a bug. Could just someone please check?

    Thanks and cheers

    Ekkehart

Ekkehart,

I don't know if this relates to your problem, but not too long ago someone else on the list was trying to embed a vector graphic and getting a rather low-resolution bitmap instead. It turns out the plotting program he used to generate the graphic (can't remember which one) was also creating a bitmapped "preview" image and sticking it in the image file, and that was what showed up in the final output. The solution was for him to change a setting in the plotter program to eliminate the preview image and regenerate the graphic.

HTH,
/Paul