Daniel Lohmann wrote:
Hi,

On my (German) WinXP, LyX 1.4 "suddenly" (at least I never noticed that before) uses German translations for most parts of the UI, which kind of confuses me, especially as all the short-cuts are different.

How can I switch it back to English?

This depends in part on how you launch LyX, and which version of LyX you are using. The launch mechanism for the Windows port changed somewhere around 1.4.2. Current versions come with two executables: lyxc.exe, which is the actual LyX; and lyx.exe, which is a wrapper that writes out a temporary file that in turn launches lyxc.exe. (I'm fuzzy on the details, but this indirection is probably necessary to prevent a DOS window from lingering in the background.)

If you use the default method (an icon that points to lyx.exe, so that you don't see a DOS window in addition to the GUI), take a look in the Windows registry (by running regedit or equivalent) for the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LyX14\Settings. It has an attribute "Language". My guess is that somehow got set to "de_DE". Use regedit to change its value to "en_EN" if you use real (i.e., US) English. (If you use the British "variant", it might be something like "en_GB".)

If, like me, you bypass lyx.exe and launch lyxc.exe directly, forget about the registry. Just set an environment variable LC_ALL=en_EN before launching lyxc.

HTH,
/Paul