On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 01:11:53PM -0700, James Yu wrote:

> Hi, Enrico,
> Great you have tried something and succeeded.
> Will you share with us the "utility"?

No problem. Please find attached a tar archive containing an executable
and a bash script. You can put LyXPipeWatcher.exe wherever you want, but
it is mandatory that you copy the script to the cygwin /usr/local/bin
directory.

I don't know if I am allowed to redistribute modified sources from
http://www.relisoft.com/win32/watcher.html
so I am not including them. The sources are copyrighted but I could
not find anything about redistribution.

Usage is as follows.

Prerequisites:

 - Cygwin version of LyX (either the official one using Qt3/X11
   or mine own build using Qt3/Win will do).

 - Make sure that you have the cygwin bin directory in your system PATH.
   Most probably this is c:\cygwin\bin and you should add it to the Path
   variable in the "System properties/Advanced/Environment variables"
   panel (on Win2k I get it by choosing Properties after right clicking
   on the "My Computer" icon). You need admin privileges to do this.

 - Once you are in the previous panel, make sure that a variable named
   HOME is set, pointing to your cygwin home directory. For example,
   this could be c:\cygwin\home\James (use the Windows syntax here).

Usage with JabRef:

 - Set the lyxpipe path in LyX. You should set this path in the "LyXServer
   pipe:" entry you see after Tools->Preferences->Paths. Use the cygwin
   syntax here. Under the hypothesis that your cygwin home directory is
   c:\cygwin\home\James, I suggest using something like /home/.lyx/lyxpipe.
   Save the preferences and restart LyX.

 - Set the lyxpipe path in JabRef. Use whatever path you like here but
   make sure that it is *different* from the previous one.

 - Launch LyXpipeWatcher.exe specifying on the command line (or in a
   shortcut) the same lyxpipe path you gave to JabRef (the bash script
   will figure out by itself what is the real lyxpipe path).

 - Once you have LyX, JabRef and LyXpipeWatcher running, try pushing a
   reference to LyX. You should see a console window flashing briefly and
   then the reference should appear in LyX.

--
Enrico