It looks like in book.cls, anyway, you can replace \chaptername with [EMAIL PROTECTED] You will need to surround the code with
   \makeatletter
   YOUR CODE HERE
   \makeatother
I think. You may also run into a problem if you have chapters after your appendix. If you do have a problem, just put: [EMAIL PROTECTED] in ERT before your next chapter. That'll need the same surrounding, too.

rh

LB wrote:
Hello

There is one problem with this solution that I just noticed. The header in Appendix A would say Chapter A. Is there a way to modify the coder to correct this?

Thank you
Leo

LB wrote:
Hello

I have more of a latex question but I'm hoping that somebody would
know the answer.

I'm using Lyx 1.4.3 on Windows XP. The document I'm writing is in Book
class.

I'm writing a large document with a few chapters, sections and
appendices. What I would like is to have a chapter name, section name
or appendix name appear on the top of the page.
For example if the current page is from "Chapter 1 Title of chapter 1"
then on the top of the pages in this chapter I'd like to see "1 Title
of chapter 1". As soon the reader reaches "Section 1.1 Title of
section 1.1" the header would change to "1.1 Title of section 1.1"
I'd like appendices to be handled like chapters. BTW to create
appendix I have in ERT \appendix and then all subsequent chapters
become appendices.

I found the following code:

\setlength{\headheight}{15pt}
\pagestyle{fancy}
\renewcommand{\chaptermark}[1]{%
What follows marks only the left-hand (odd) pages, and does nothing if
you're using single-sided.
\markboth{\chaptername
\ \thechapter.\ #1}{}}
So you probably want either:*
*    \markboth{\chaptername\ \thechapter.\ #1}{\chaptername\
\thechapter.\ #1}}
if you're doing double-sided, or:
   \markright{\chaptername\ \thechapter.\ #1}
if you're not.

Richard
**
\fancyhf{}
\fancyhead[LE,RO]{\thepage}
\fancyhead[RE]{\textit{\nouppercase{\leftmark}}}
\fancyhead[LO]{\textit{\nouppercase{\rightmark}}}
\fancypagestyle{plain}{ %
\fancyhf{} % remove everything
\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0pt} % remove lines as well
\renewcommand{\footrulewidth}{0pt}}

which does put the section names in the header but it does not put
chapter names nor appendix names in the header.  How can I modify this
to include chapter names in the headers?

Thank you very much
Leo

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto