Nick Hopton wrote:
I'm sure Uwe will want to fix the updater, but the question now is whether we can isolate what caused the problem. This is always an adventure, particularly on Windows systems, because differences in system configuration often turn out to be the difference.

This I can believe. I shouldn't worry about it too much at this stage, it might just be an isolated glitch. No one else seems to be having this problem by the look of it.

True to the best of my knowledge, so we can wait and see if the problem recurs with someone else (and, if so, look for common factors).

Just an afterthought, does installing LyX make changes to the registry? I didn't think it did, but I do have software installed that is supposed to protect the registry from changes.

I think the LyX installer now gives you the option to associate LyX with the .lyx file extension. (I should know this, but it's late and my memory is shot.) That's a registry change. There's some other stuff that shows up in the registry, but I don't think LyX is directly responsible for it. (Windows itself dumps all sorts of stuff in the registry, including things about applications you've run.)

/Paul