See comments below.

James

>> 3. spell checking doesn¹t function properly.  If I choose
>> ³reconfigure² then
>> the spell checker works, but after I close and reopen Lyx, it is
>> broken once
>> again.
>
> Can you provide more details? (I can't confirm a problem here.)

I downloaded and unzipped the Lyx 1.5b2 from the ftp site.  I then ran the
program.  When I ran spell check (via the gui button), I got the following
message:
  "The spellchecker could not be started
LyX: Failed to start ispell!"
If I then choose Lyx->Reconfigure I can run spell check successfully.
However, if I restart lyx, I have the same problem again.  It seems that the
reconfigure magic isn't sticking.

>> 4. Copy/paste from Lyx to another app doesn¹t work.  This also was
>> a problem
>> in previous distributions.
>
> Again, can you provide details? Is it *all* other applications that
> give you this problem -- including TextEdit.app, say -- or only some,
> such as MS Word?

It seems that I cannot even copy/past from one Lyx doc to another.  I can
only copy/past within a single Lyx doc.  Note that I can copy from an
external app and paste into a Lyx doc, but I cannot copy from a Lyx doc and
paste anywhere except in that same Lyx doc.  I have tried pasting into MS
Word, a terminal, my mail client, other Lyx docs, etc.