On Fri, 11 May 2007 07:53:13 -0500
A S Hodel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I consistently use Math Mode; once I set up/learned the keyboard
> shortcuts to insert parenthesis and arrays, the speed of entry is
> comparable to directly typing math equations in LaTeX, which is far
> faster than a point-and-click approach.
>
> LyX-Code is definitely a poor option.
>
> Symbols for multiplication: depends on the age of the student.  If
> we're looking at starting algebra, 8th or 9th grade (13-14 years
> old), then I recall multiplication symbols being omitted.
> Alternatively, you can use the \times or \cdot symbols (which will
> transform to their correct symbols in Math Mode).

There are probably four use, depending on frequency of use:
1. Stuff you use a lot : find out if there is a shortcut or define one
yourself. Look at math.bind for a start (under linux it should be
under /usr/share/lyx/math.bind
2. Use lyx code inside the math environment. If lyx knows it (usually if it can
do it itself through menus) it will translate to lyx display. try writing
\alpha or \frac in math mode and see what happens
3. For things you don't use much and don't remember the code you can always use
the menus or math-panel (toolbar in lyx 1.5)
4. The lyx command window (not sure whats it's official name is). You can press
Alt-x to see it. there you can enter lyx commands such as math-matrix 3 3 to
get a 3x3 matrix. It has a history which is nice (Alt-x and up/down arrows)