On 15 May, 2007, at 6:00 PM, Jan Peters wrote:

One further reason: If you have years of work in LaTeX or LyX and you
are suddenly requested to write a short article in Word - doable by
cut-and-paste, would you write everything again? Or resuse your old
text?

For me, this is THE reason. I want and need to have access to everything I write until the end of my career. No commercial package with a closed format will ever satisfy that requirement, as I have found out, painfully, not too long ago. The only alternative to using open software and open standards is to set up a personal computing museum with carefully chosen hardware/OS/word processing versions. I have been doing this for a while, and I am getting tired of it.

S.

For my party: I deny using Word and am not willing to use it or an OSF
clone of word like OO. If someone only can use word files, e.g., a
secretary, I will need to send one.

Cheers,
-Jan