On Friday 18 May 2007 14:57, Steve Litt wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The cover of my Ebook was created in Vim, and is incorporated on the first
> page of my LyX file as a .jpg. I started with an 8.5x11 drawing in Gimp,
> but it was too huge and I had to scale the image to quarter size and put it
> in LyX. If I scaled using linear interpolation, the letters were blurry at
> higher magnifications. If I scaled using cubic or Lanczos interpolation, it
> caused some disturbing artifacts, especially at higher magnifications
> within the .pdf file.
>
> Anyone know of a way I can use a full sized 8.5x11 graphic without it
> taking over a megabyte of memory? One would think it would be very
> compressible. Over half the graphic is contiguous pure white, with another
> 10% contiguous pure black.

I figured it out. With a really big graphic, you you must create the graphic
as a .eps, and within LyX include that .eps. Whatever graphic conversion
programs LyX uses blows converts from .jpg or .png to a HUGE .eps, much
bigger than the .eps would be if you created it directly from Gimp.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/