Hi Steve,

I can. LyX is smart enough that it doesn't offer that option in the Insert menu until you've created at least one character style. The minute you successfully create a character style, "Character Style" will appear asan option on your Insert submenu.
I'm surprised because in my installation (gentoo-linux, kde-3.5.7,
tetex-3.0, lyx-1.5.0rc1) it appears here:

>>Edit >TextStyle >

then there appears a submenu:

Customized...
----------------
Capitalize
Uppercase
Lowercase

And since the moment my Char Style 'Fboxed' is active, it appears above
the line with 'Customized...'

BTW I agree with your considerations on the use of Char Styles ;-)

Greetings

Hellmut

--
Dr. Hellmut Weber         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Degenfeldstraße 2         tel   +49-89-3081172