Steve Litt wrote:
Hi all,

I use a nice, readable 12 point Century Schoolbook for my books. I find most other LyX fonts to be thin and reedy (my vision isn't too good, and that could be part of the reason).

Anyway, when I do Insert->Math->Display_math or Insert->Math->Eqnarray, the characters are 12 point but look about 2 pixels thick. I can do Insert->Math->Change_font->Math_bold, but that inserts an inline math thing whose font is nicely thick, but I've found no way to apply it to an equation array or display math.

Is there a way I can change the math font globally? Is there some command I can change within my layout file?
There are packages available for this. Have a peek at the mathptmx.sty to see what kind of thing has to be done. Or try one of the other math*.sty packages, like mathpazo.sty. Be warned that math fonts are a bit of a landmine, and there aren't a whole ton of free choices. The /LaTeX Companion/ has a section on this.

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto