p.s. Why doesn't the website have the LyX documentation? If it does, I overlooked it -- where is it linked from?

I don't understand the question... which website?

Official www.lyx.org.

The documentation I didn't see was:

doc/Customization.html
doc/DocStyle.html
doc/Extended.html
doc/FAQ.html
doc/Intro.html
doc/Reference.html
doc/TOC.html
doc/Tutorial.html
doc/UserGuide.html

(I didn't check again so maybe it is there.)

I don't think it's there. Also note that the documentation is not available in HTML, it's .lyx-files. Automatically converting HTML might be good, but LyX is AFAIK not good enough to do a reliable job of this.

Anyway, you can access the .lyx-files using the browser for the version control system. There is probably some wiki page that points to to it, but here's the link

        http://www.lyx.org/trac/browser/lyx-devel/trunk/lib/doc

Does this answer your question?

Or why does Google have Playground indexed if it is a practice sandbox?

Google has no reason to _not_ index pages in the wiki group Playground.

It might be possible to instruct google to ignore those pages, but I'm not
sure that's desired.

That is what I was thinking -- use robots.txt and metatags to stop indexing of a practice sandbox.

If you think most people want this behaviour, then feel free to follow the instructions here

        http://wiki.lyx.org/Site/ControllingWebRobots

to make google ignore pages in Playground/ :-)

/C

PS. If you change this behaviour, please a note about it somewhere. Perhaps on Site.FAQ, by creating a new question/answer as to why Google isn't indexing pages in the group Playground/