Jean> Empirically, I do not think that using the number suggested by
Jean> Jean- Marc is relevant for two reasons: 1) My screen (powerbook
Jean> G4, 15 inches) has 1440 pixels for 12.6 inches, which gives a
Jean> DPI of ~ 114, whereas the value which gives correct results is
Jean> 80.

And LyX 1.5 returns 98 DPI?

Jean> 2) Changing the DPI value in Lyx preferences changes the
Jean> relative size of math previews to text, whereas changing the
Jean> resolution of my screen changes the DPI as calculated by
Jean> Jean-Marc but (luckily) does not change the relative size of
Jean> math previews to text.

I understand what the bug is, but instead of learning how to work
around the problem (which is indeed the immediate solution), what
about removing the LyX bugs that create this mess? This is the reason
why I ask these questions.

JMarc