Steve Litt wrote:
On Tuesday 12 June 2007 10:06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007, Trevor Nicholls wrote:
What we'd really like is to be able to use LyX as our document editor,
because alternative XML editors really suck big time. However this would
mean we have to be able to go in the other direction, converting LyX
documents back into XML.
Currently the big change that is planned for LyX 1.6 is making use XML as
its native format...

Oh No!!!!!

The current 1.4x native format is so easy to read and understand, and even to write. With an XML format, I'll need to hook an XML parser to Ruby. Worse yet, creating LyX programmatically (VimOutliner to LyX converter, for instance) will be challenging.

While I am not yet sure I agree with that, we are apparently heading to a simple XML format which will map "one to one" each tag of the current LyX format:

  \begin_xxx
  \end_xxx

will be replaced with:

  <xxx>
  </xxx>

So I don't think it will become any more difficult to read and parse than the current format. Quite the contrary I would say ;-)

By the way, you keep talking about the VimOutliner, may I ask if you tried the new outline feature of 1.5? (Part of it is also in 1.4.4).

Abdel.