On 6/13/07, killermike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Wednesday 13 June 2007 07:47, Ares wrote:

> when I was under windows (a long, long time ago), when exporting to
> pdf from LyX, I was prompted by LyX to install missing packages and,
> if I had an internet connection, everything worked smoothly.
> Now under GNU/Linux do I have to install missing packages manually (I
> know how to do it - more or less)? but then the question is: is there
> a way to download all new files from command line in one step?
>
> thanks in advance for the sympathetic advices...

On Kubuntu, with a fresh install, I generally install LyX from the package
manager. This means that all of the supporting tools are automatically
installed along with LyX. This tends to be a relatively old version, and
as I
have had quite good luck with the 1.5.0betas, I then manually build a more
uptodate version.

--
http://www.unmusic.co.uk - about me, music, geek sitcom etc.
http://www.unmusic.co.uk/amhs/ - alt.music.home-studio

I think what were trying to explain to you is that "in general" if you
install tetex or texlive you won't need to install any additional packages
like you needed to under Windoze. Just install either tetex or texlive and
use LyX and if you run into an instance of needing a package then post back
to the list and we'll be more than happy to explain how to install those.

Also, remember that the synaptic package manager and apt-get install are the
same thing. So every package available to the system will be listed in
synaptic.

Bob