Bryce Ready wrote:

I have installed lyx 1.4.4 for windows, and installation went fine.  When I
try to run lyx, I get a taskbar entry but no window!
I can run lyxc.exe directly and it works somewhat, but I have an annoying
dos screen running about, and lyx socket is disabled.

Can anyone give me any ideas as to why this might be the case?

Because Windows is a mean and spiteful OS? (Sorry, just installed this month's 10 or 20 MB of "we still can't get this right" patches and, inevitably, had to reboot.) :-)

The "annoying DOS screen" when you run lyxc is normal ... in fact, AFAIK pretty much all lyx.exe does is avoid that screen ... and the message about the LyX socket being disabled is also normal. I suspect it's disabled when you start via lyx.exe, but like that lightbulb-in-the-refrigerator thing, I have no way of knowing for sure.

What made your LyX window (started via lyx.exe) shrink to size zero? Beats me. I take it that, after starting with lyxc, you still get the taskbar-only mess when you go back to the usual approach? If so, you might try the following. Start LyX with

  lyx.exe -geometry 600x300+100+100

(which should get you a nontrivial window), exit normally (File->Exit, not the crash-me button in the upper right), then start it again without the geometry arguments. See if that gets rid of whatever is causing the totally-shrunken start.

HTH,
Paul