On Thu, 14 Jun 2007, William Adams wrote:

> Most pdf viewers will maintain a file lock which will prevent the file from
> being over-written.

What ones?

I'd guess most LyX users do like I do and create new PDFs continually
while their PDF viewer is still open.

Some PDF viewers have behaviour to reload updated PDFs automatically
(which is just the opposite of forcing a file lock).

My experience is with evince, xpdf, epdfview, gv, ggv, gpdf, and others
and I don't recall this locking issue.

Also how is the file lock done? File locking makes a lot of assumptions
and often doesn't work on some systems for some file systems. A reliable
way of doing file locking is to create a lock file (a separate dummy
file); if that is the case, what is it called?

Attempting to google for this topic mostly turns up about PDFs that are
protected so others can't view without authenticating.

But now I read that Adobe reader locks files. (I don't use Adobe.) So I
guess the solution is not to use Adobe :)

  Jeremy C. Reed