Georg Brandl schrieb:

The version number is a bit older while the manifest in LyX's SVN is
version="8.0.50727.762"
So when you are using an older DLL version than this, it will fail. Ideally the
version of the DLLs
and the one in the manifest should be identic. I can do this for SVN, but
before I want to know if
it works when you install LyX using LyXWinInstaller and replace then

1. the lyx.exe with the version you have compiled. Does this work?
2. if 1. fails, replace the msv**80.dll in LyX's bin older with the ones
delivered in your MSVC
    installation. Please report me the results of this test.

OK, I'll do further investigation and report.

This is what I did to make it finally work (you were fully correct that what I
did before was crap):

* It seems that the SVN and 1.4.4-5 versions already use the same version of the
  libraries, so that is no the problem.

* Then I looked at resources, and the lyxc.exe included in the 1.4.4-5 installer
  has an embedded manifest that references the Microsoft.VC80.CRT (?) assembly.
  My built version doesn't.

* So I created a lyxc.exe.manifest identical to the 1.4.4-5's embedded manifest.

* This resulted in a slightly different, but just as opaque error message
  (there is an error in the application configuration).

* Finally, I installed the Microsoft VC++ 2005 SP1 redistributable package
  from download.microsoft.com - and it worked now.

Georg