I produce diagrams with PyXPlot and export them as .eps files via Lyx into my
document.
Since Pyxplot uses Latex for text, I can set the same fontsize in the diagram
as in my document. However, I have to make sure the figure is put into the
float correctly. I am using twocolumn style and have figures which either fit
in one of the columns or span both columns.

There are various ways of setting the size of the diagram for the export from
Lyx.
e.g.
size%
pt
mm,cm...
text%
col%
page%
theight% , pheight%

Which setting is suited? If I set the width of my diagram to e.g. 6cm, I could
use 6cm width in the setting. However, the 6cm refer to the x-axis length,
not including the y-axis text. Any setting takes care of this?

Wolfgang