pol wrote:
Paul A. Rubin wrote:

What document class?  I just tried the article class, and fractions in
display mode appeared (in the DVI) in display style.  In fact, I tried

\[\frac{a}{b}=\dfrac{a}{b}={\displaystyle \frac{a}{b}}\]

(using LyX math insets, not ERT) and got a formula with three identical
fractions.

Article class, but lyx 1.4.5

I don't have 1.4.5, but I repeated the above experiment in 1.4.4, and again I got no differences. LyX file and DVI are attached.

\[ is marked as 'bad math environment delimiter' in 1.4 so i cannot check
your test

I didn't mean that you should insert \[ and \]. What I listed above is the LaTeX produced by LyX. I used Insert->Math->Display formula, which provided the \[ and \] delimiters. Within the math inset, I typed \frac, \dfrac and \displaystyle \frac respectively, filling in the arguments.

/Paul