Daniel Lohmann wrote:
Hi,

I have a paper that uses the ACM class "sig-alternate" and needed to produce a PDF that uses "letterpaper" as page size. This turned out to be surprisingly complicated. I eventually found a solution, however, would like to discuss some of the issues.

It took me quite a while to figure out that all these "letterpaper" or "a4paper" options one can pass to a LaTeX class have nothing to do with the actual printer page size of the output media -- they just influence the type area calculations. The printer page size is not controlled by LaTeX, but the backend-driver (dvips, dvipdfm, pdftex, ...). On most LaTeX installations it defaults to A4 paper. Depending on the backend-driver, the printer page size can be influenced by either command line options (not really suitable if using LyX) or by driver-dependent /special-commands.

As I was using pdflatex, I added

\pdfpagewidth=8.5in
\pdfpageheight=11in

to my preamble and that did it. However, I would prefer an backend-driver--independent solution.

I found two packages that offer functionality to specify the printer page size independently from the backend-driver: geometry and typearea. However, I was not able to figure out how to use one of these packages to set the printer page size *without* having it to recalculate the type area according to more or less nifty algorithms at the same time. (With the ACM classes, the type area is anyway fixed and optimized for letter format.)

More precisely:

\usepackage[letterpaper]{geometry}

messed up the layout completely, whereas

\usepackage[letterpaper]{typearea}

resulted in a error message that "current" has not been defined.

Any ideas?

Daniel

How did \usepackage[letterpaper]{geometry} mess up the layout?

I assume from your location that you usually want to use A4 and just need letter for certain special situations (such as the one you described). Attempting to do the reverse of what you want (switch from letter, my default, to A4), I discovered that if you just change the paper size in the LyX document settings, it supplies the new size as an option to the document class, and pdflatex seems to ignore that. If you also switch from default margins to custom margins, though, LyX loads geometry and supplies the paper size (along with the margins) as options to geometry, and for me that seems to work. I'm using a different class, though, so perhaps ACM is susceptible to format problems where AMS is not.

/Paul