Ernesto Posse wrote:
Is it possible to write a document in LyX (1.5.1) that mixes two (or
more) scripts? If so, how?

I have been able to install and use an alternative keyboard map for a
non-latin script, but, even though one can specify two keyboard maps,
I have not been able to find anywhere in the documentation how to
select the second map.

Thanks.

Hi!

Yes, it is possible, there are actually a few different ways to do it. However, your success may also depend on which scripts specifically you are talking about.

The easiest way is perhaps to just switch the keyboard at the OS-level. Depending on your OS / Desktop Environment, you can probably change the "keyboard's language", and then whatever you type will be in that script.

Another option is to use LyX's built-in keymaps. It sounds like you have already discovered this option. In order to use it, you can use the following keybindings: "M-k 1" "M-k 2" to choose the primary / secondary keymap; "M-k t" to toggle between them. Two caveats, though: Firstly, Keymaps currently support only two scripts simultaneously. Secondly, if both scripts you want to use are non-RTL, you have to turn off the RTL option (see the RELEASE-NOTES, or http://www.lyx.org/trac/browser/lyx-devel/branches/BRANCH_1_5_X/RELEASE-NOTES#L31?rev=20486).

Personally, I prefer keymaps. I have pointed out some of the reasons why in a previous post (http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.devel/88939), you can see there if those reasons make sense to you or not, and that may help you decide which method is better for you.

Note, however, that regardless of which method you use, you should also make sure that the language of the text (Edit -> Text style -> Customized... -> Language) is set correctly. Otherwise, chances are that latex will choke on the non-latin characters. This is where using a LyX keymap has an advantage: since you can change the keymap from within LyX, you can create a keybinding which will both switch the keymap and set the language using only a single keystroke. I don't know of any way to do this if you use OS-level keyboard support.

If you provide a little more specific information (which scripts? what OS are your working on? ...) we may be able to provide further assistance.

Dov