> What do other people use for exercises? And will this ever be built into
> LyX? I have to use ERT to get exercise.sty working.
I use
\usepackage{answers}

To get it working more easy, I put the stuff below into my lyx configuration
files. With this I can just press M-g u  to insert an exercise, and then M-g
a to insert ERT (two greyblocks) so I can write the answer between the grey
blocks.
I'm sorry for the bad explaination of how it works, but I'm quite satisfied
with it.

Here is the stuff I use:
---------------------------------------

in the LaTeX preamble

\Newassociation{sol}{Svar}{ans}
{\theorembodyfont{\upshape} \newtheorem{uppg}{Uppgift}}
\newenvironment{ug}{\begin{uppg}\normalfont}{\end{uppg}}

and in the bind files

\bind "M-g u"   "layout GGGUG"
\bind "M-g a"   "command-sequence ert-insert; self-insert \begin{sol};
next-inset-toggle; ert-insert; self-insert \end{sol}; next-inset-toggle;
char-backward;"

and in the layouts file

# Uppgift style definition
Style GGGUG
  LatexType             Environment
  LatexName             ug

  ParSkip               0.4
  ParSep                                0.4
  TopSep                0.4
  Align                 Left
  AlignPossible         Left
  LabelType            Top_Environment