e-letter wrote:

In writer I can format text with a style and in turn edit that style,
e.g. format the text into title case.

How do I change the 'section' style, for example to have italicised text?

LyX has user-designable styles, but AFAIK only for ordinary text. This is in part a LaTeX limitation: LaTeX formats headings differently than regular text.

To address your specific example, you can load the sectsty package in the preamble and use the macros it provides (such as \allsectionsfont{...}) to change the font for section headings. I believe you can also accomplish this with the titlesec package. Note that changes you make with either of these will not be reflected in the GUI, only in the final output.

/Paul