On Dec 14, 2007, at 12:01 AM, mike c wrote:

Hi All,
Anyone thought about a LyX quicklook component for Mac OSX Leopard?

I haven't thought, mostly because I haven't paid much attention to Leopard. (With operating systems especially I find it worthwhile not to be an early adopter.) Nonetheless, it looks like adding Quick Look support is relatively easy -- if you don't expect the LyX document to show formatting. Try following the advice given here:

<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071028184428583>

If I'm reading that right, you should find the Info.plist file within the LyX.app bundle and add the following (after the first <dict> string, e.g.):

        <key>UTExportedTypeDeclarations</key>
        <array>
                <dict>
                        <key>UTTypeIdentifier</key>
                        <string>org.lyx.lyx</string>
                        <key>UTTypeReferenceURL</key>
                        <string>http://www.lyx.org</string>
                        <key>UTTypeDescription</key>
                        <string>LyX Document</string>
                        <key>UTTypeConformsTo</key>
                        <array>
                                <string>public.text</string>
                <string>public.plain-text</string>
                        </array>
                        <key>UTTypeTagSpecification</key>
                        <dict>
                                <key>com.apple.ostype</key>
                                <string>OLYX</string>
                                <key>public.filename-extension</key>
                                <array>
                                        <string>lyx</string>
                                </array>
                        </dict>
                </dict>
        </array>

Then from Terminal.app, enter:

touch /Applications/LyX.app

(substituting the appropriate path to your LyX application). It should then work -- at least sort of: it should display the contents of your .lyx files as plain text, showing you what you'd see if you opened that file in TextEdit, e.g.

If you do this, please report back, and if it works I can alter the Info.plist file in the sources.

Bennett