With help from #latex I have got my local latex environment set up, so
that I can run pdflatex on a simple tex file which uses the custom
style. When I try to use the style in a lyx doc though, by adding this
to the preamble:

\usepackage{StuS13}

then C-X P gives the error
\maketitle

The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

Any ideas?

Jim