Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
Alexander Maryanovsky wrote:
It means that the jesus font (an hebraic font) is unavailable on your
system. I guess that you have to install the hebrew package on your latex
distribution to get a set of hebrew fonts.

I just installed ivritex-dist
(http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ivritex/ivritex-1.2.1-dist.tar.gz by
copying its contents into ~/Library/texmf) and now the error isn't
displayed, but all Hebrew text appears blank in the output file, be it
DVI or PDF (English text appears fine).

I know this isn't a LyX issue, but could you help me anyway, or at
least point me somewhere where I could get help?

On a related note, don't you guys think that an application should
work out of the box, without having to go hunt around the internet for
packages and such?

Sure and you are welcome to help us toward this goal ;-)

If LyX claims to support Hebrew, why not go all the
way and include all the required stuff in its installation? Are the
licenses incompatible or something?

Any investigation is welcome. We only have one Hebrew developer (Dov, are you reading this?) and he will gladly accept your help.

Abdel.

Hi!

Abdel, thanks for the heads up. I just haven't been able to keep up with the mailing list / development in the past few weeks... :(

I don't really understand much at all about the packaging. My understanding is that these are LaTeX issues, over which LyX has no control, and which are also very platform specific. So I'm afraid I can't be of much help here...

And I second Charles suggestion: the ivritex mailing list could be helpful regarding hebrew-specific latex issues. I seem to recall that there was someone else asking about Mac OS X a few months ago, so you might also want to search the ivritex archives.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help...

Dov