On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 11:41:42AM +0000, Sam Lewis wrote:

Hi Sam, hi all,

> Available LyX 1.5.3 checkinstall packages for *etch* and *dapper* on
> ftp.devel.lyx.org/pub/incoming/

Sam please don't take it as an offense but I'd highly recommend to not
use those checkinstall packages for Debian/etch. The same reasoning
apply for Ubuntu so you might want to read on as an Ubuntu user aswell.

I'd like to see packages on backports.org but that doesn't seem to happen
in the short term so instead of installing some checkinstall packages
from an unknown source (my parents always told me to not take food from
stranges, it's in some way similar to this case or do you like to give
Sam your root passwort?) you could use a backport provided by Emilio Scalise.

http://emiscabpo.wordpress.com/about/

Sure I can not prove if the binary packages were really build from the source
packages in the same repo but at least there is a sane source package
provided along with the binary packages and the binary packages have sane
dependencys and version numbers.

One backdraw is that you're forced to migrate to texlive from tetex if you're
still using tetex. This will happen with lenny anyway but it will force
you to download a few hundred MiB of texlive packages along with the new
LyX and boost packages.

Emilio: If you could change the texlive deps to texlive|tetex stuff (maybe
take a lock at my bpo proposed packages) and maybe change the version
extension to not look like backports.org (because they seem to not end up there)
they would be my recommendation for Debian/etch users with a demand for
LyX 1.5.x packages.

Sven
--
There's no need for tears, cause there's no need to cry.
That love that you leave will never be denied.