Rich Shepard wrote:
  In the document that I'm reformatting within LyX is this line:

"At the 2005 White House Conference on Cooperative Conservation (\url{...}),
the Department ..."

  When typeset it comes out like this:

   At the 2005 White House Conference on Cooperative Conservation (http:
//cooperativeconservation.gov/conference805home.html), the De-

and the "De-" extends into the right margin. I don't understand why pdflatex
doesn't break the line after "the" and put the entire next word on the
following line. If I use a forced linebreak, then the line's a bit too
short.

  Is there a way for me to easily correct this?

You could try putting \linebreak[n] in ERT where you want the break, where n is an integer in the range 0..4. This "suggests" a line break, where higher numbers reflect stronger suggestions (and 4 means "the Godfather wants you should break it here"). According to Kopka & Daly 2nd edition, \linebreak with no argument forces a line break (equivalent to [4]?). The line that breaks will be justified.

/Paul