> But now I want to upgrade LyX without installing a newer operating system. I
> don't think that's too much to ask.
>
> One could counter that if I used Debian I could just apt-get install the
> whole
> thing. Well I don't use Debian -- I like Mandriva and have been using it
> since 2000, and I would certainly like to see developers not place stumbling
> blocks of specific versions and subversions of tools.

i dont see why debian or fedora are able to have 1.5 series in their tree
and mandriva not.

> Interestingly, it appears that in order to upgrade to qt 2.2.3, I would need
> to upgrade my glibc (because of rtld(GNU_HASH)). I'm sorry, but that's just
> too much to expect from a user.

erm, this is the second time you mention qt 2.x.y, i previsouly thought its
just
typo and i wonder - on my distro there are only qt 3.3.8 and qt 4.3.2 available.
you really mean 'upgrade to 2.2.3' ? - this seems to be some message ten years
back :)

pavel