Thank you all for your replies!

I will try ivritex's mailing list; it's quite weird, because I do have
culmus fonts installed - the problem is with ivritex, still?

Anyway, it is comfoting that you can see both in a good quality.

Yes, I am not using adobe reader (since it is not free software); I am
using just simple PDF viewer (actually, Evince 0.8.1) - for the
experiment, I have tried a different PDF viewer - KGhostView 0.2.0 - and
it looks much better - but this software is awfully slow and have
problems with zoomings.

So, thanks again - now I figure out what the problem is - and these are
the still "open" questions:
a. I have culmus fonts installed - is it not sufficient for tex2pdf to
use them? What should I ask ivritex?
b. Can one of you recommend a good PDF viewer, which is a free software,
for linux?

Thanks again,
Peleg.