Daniel CLEMENT wrote:

If you are using one of the AMS classes, just start a new paragraph,
then click the drop down list of environments (left-most widget in the
first tool bar, or M-p space to open it from the keyboard), and click on
Theorem.

Is this a recent addition to LyX? I'd like to insert theorem-like
environments this way, but I can't do it. E.g., what "AMS class" do I have
to use, to see "theorem" in the drop-down list?

I think I was using it in LyX 1.3.x; I know I was in 1.4.x. In Document -> Settings... -> Document class, pick from: article (AMS); article (AMS, sequential numbering); article (AMS, unnumbered); or (if you're really wordy) book (AMS). The differences among the article classes have to do with how theorem-like things are numbered. All three have theorems, lemmas, corollaries etc. on the environment list.

The four AMS layout files load a bunch of include files that define all these things and tell LyX how to display and number them. Richard Heck indicated that, in LyX 1.6, we'll be able to plug those modules into other classes.

/Paul