On 05.03.2008, at 05:55, Bo Peng wrote:

Have you checked out the support for lstlisting in LyX 1.5.x? I gather
from the wiki that Bo Peng is responsible for it (props to Bo).  It's
not on the environment roster; you get it with Insert -> Program
Listing. Right click the widget handle to see all the controllable stuff.

I know the mentioned problems with listings but they are not easy to
solve. I also recommend using a listings child document for long
listings.

I have been using the listings package quite a lot. Since LyX 1.4 it works perfectly if used in ERT boxes (pre 1.4 versions added an extra new-line after every hard line break, which required some trickery with negative linkeskip values to yield a good result.)

I never used the new listings inset, though. In my opinion, ERT boxes are just perfect for in-text listings of code. Listings clearly is one of the best documented packages available in the LaTeX world and has a very convenient interface, so "hand coding" listings options is not at all painful. All one should do is to define a listings style with all necessary default settings in the preamble (a good practice anyway). Then only two actual LaTeX lines have to be in each ERT box:

\begin{lstlisting}[style=ac]
#include "Win32Error.h"
aspect ThrowWin32Errors {
  advice call( win32::Win32API() ) : after() {
    if( win32::IsError( *tjp->result() ) {
      throw win32::Exception();
    }
  }
};
\end{lstlisting}

Keeping (short) listings in ERT boxes this way has a some clear advantages:

- The on-screen formatting is easy, as within ERT a typewriter font is used. - The spell checker skips ERT boxes, hence the listings do not get spell checked (that always annoyed me with LyxCode) - Extra options can easily be passed as additional optional parameters in the square brackets.

For longer listings I recommend to not input them as LyX child documents, but keep them in ordinary text files using the \lstinputlisting command in ERT:

\lstinputlisting[style=aclisting]{../src/win32eh-app.cpp}

Just my two cents,

Daniel