Can anyone share examples for both printing line characters and reverse
video characters? Or point to some docs about this?

Here is an example of line characters. But my xterm doesn't show it
(probably wrong font), but maybe your console will.

                      ???????????????????????????????????
                      ? Which would you like to do?     ?
                      ?                                 ?
                      ? a: Edit the MBR partition table ?
                      ?>b: Use the entire disk          ?
                      ???????????????????????????????????

Note that is special characters for vertical and horizontal lines and four
different corners.

I'd like to do that in LaTeX or LyX instead of using screenshot.

I guess I could use some parbox, makebox or framebox instead but haven't
tried that. (I realized that because I also want to use a box around
entire area which would measure about 80 characters by 24 characters.)

As for reverse video, here is an example using ANSI codes:

        printf "\e[7m this is reverse \e[0m\n"

How to do that with LyX? (white on black)?

I have several text console screenshots where I also captured the text. I
think my book would look better if I let TeX format the text versus using
PNG images.

  Jeremy C. Reed