Hi,

After finding myself spending more and more time with tweaking and customizing bibliography handling I am considering switching to biblatex.

According to the wiki (http://wiki.lyx.org/BibTeX/Biblatex) and a thread from last December (http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg60714.html ) this seems to be not overly difficult -- it can't be more complicated than my current bibtex, multibib, and child-/master mode tweaks. Before really digging into all this, I am, however, curious about other users' experience with biblatex:

1) Do you have to change your .bib-files? I remember that this was an issue when I first read about biblatex, but did not find a comment or hint into this direction in the documentation of the current version.

2) Does it work well with hyperref (including backref support and so on)? The documentation states so -- but with respect to hyperref many oddities arise in practice. (I had, for instance, all my requirements fulfilled with bibunits and some tweaks when I finally figured out that with bibunits reference no longer become hyperlinks - a show stopper.)

3) Do I really have to use the natbib options? I know, everybody recommends natbib, but I prefer the simple alpha style.

4) Why is it the case that the path to the bib-files has to be either absolute or the bib-file has to be in texmf? I really would like to avoid both.

5) Even though I never heard any complaints about the 0.7 version of biblatex, it is still considered as "beta". Did you experience any problems while using it?

Thanks a lot!

Daniel