Thanks for the solution!

I elect to use Stephens solution, as I am not using LyX (making
the changes directly to the LaTeX source).  When I learn the
proper use of LyX, I'll try the other suggested solution.

the command I use is

$\skew9\acute{s}\thinspace$

The thinspace is to accommodate the non-italic text which
follows.  Perhaps I should also try the \ / mechanism, too.

wrb