On Friday 21 March 2008 15:18, rgheck wrote:
> Bill King wrote:
> > That is just flat out RETARDED.
>
> That sort of language is extremely inappropriate and has no place on a
> list like this.
>
> Frankly, we're all pretty glad you won't be back. Have fun with Word.

Several months ago some guy email me (personally, not on a mailing list). He
told me that LyX was difficult to install, that he blew 2 weeks trying to
make a layout, and that he was "completely misled by your claims about LyX",
where "your" referred to Steve Litt.

I think he was trying to blame me for his lost two weeks :-)

I have one more thing to say. We all get frustrated at software sometimes.
Heck, a couple months ago I was hopping mad about Qt compile dependencies
with LyX. The question is, how do you react to software frustration.

I didn't call LyX retarded, I tried to find a solution (which a couple people
on the LyX list eventually came up with). AND I didn't just yell -- a few
days before the LyX compile solution came my way, I began the starting phase
of designing a VimOutliner front end for LaTeX that WOULD compile. I was
beginning to line up contributors and create a preliminary design for the
VimOutliner LaTeX front end when a LyX list person gave me the tip to compile
LyX.

My advice for the guy who called LyX retarded -- if you don't like LyX, code
up a substitute. That's what REAL men do in the Free Software world. They
don't get mad, they get even, and that's how great new software is born.

Or, of course, they could contribute to the software that frustrates them, in
order to help eliminate the frustrations. That's how old software
continuously gets better.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Books written in LyX:
        Troubleshooting Techniques of the Successful Technologist
        Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
        Troubleshooting: Just the Facts