On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 12:12 PM, B. Bogart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  I'm just starting to work on my thesis and thought I would take a closer
>  look at getting the appropriate style to work.
>
>  I have to warn you all I've only made simple use of latex, and have been
>  using LyX for most of my writing.
>
>  When using an external format before I've simply exported the lyx file
>  to latex, applied the new style for the conference, and edited by hand
>  where needed, which has been a headache.
>
>  Now the format for my thesis (in the form of a .sty file) makes my other
>   formats simplistic, and I'm having lots of trouble. I'll try to reduce
>  this to the central details.
>
>  First I took the article.layout file, copied it into a new name, and
>  added \usepackage{csthesis.sty} in the preamble section as such:
>
>  Preamble
>         \usepackage{csthesis}
>  EndPreamble

You don't need to add this preamble stuff to your layout file. When
you specify ' \DeclareLaTeXClass[article,csthesis.sty]{article
(sfuthesis)}' you are already telling LyX that you want it to use
csthesis.sty. I don't even know if you can add preamble stuff in this
manner.

Also, you say your layout file is called sfuthesis.sty this is not
correct, it should be sfuthesis.layout, since it's a LyX layout file
not a LaTeX style file. I'm surprised that LyX is recognizing this
layout if it does not have the proper extension '.layout.

>  I also added and texhashed the sty file so that lyx could find it.

Where did you place the csthesis.sty?

>  I confirm that article(csthesis) is listed as a document class in Lyx.

This doesn't make sense since you have:
\DeclareLaTeXClass[article,csthesis.sty]{article (sfuthesis)} in some
sort of layout file.

This means in LyX it should be 'article (sfuthesis)' not 'article (csthesis)'

>  LaTeX Error: There's no line here to end.

Before we worry about errors. Let's be sure you've set things up
correctly. It seems you're on the right track, but I'm still confused
how you set everything up.

The csthesis.sty should be placed in a localtexmf directory where
LaTeX recognizes it. Then you should create your sfuthesis.layout
where LyX recognizes it and delete the preamble stuff you have in the
file.

I think these changes may eliminate some of the errors. It's also
helpful to know what operating system you're using.

Cheers,
/Bob