On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Andre Poenitz wrote:

Here's a thought that would simultaneously emphasize that this is a word
processing application, an alternative to MS Word,

Well, honestly, it isn't.

  I'm sorry, but I feel compelled to offer Andre' et al. an unsolicited
supporting opinion on this subject.

  "Word processor" has the definite connotation of WYSIWYG. No one confuses
a text editor with a word processor, nor do they confuse a page layout
editor with a word processor. LyX is a front end to a document preparation
system. It's not necessarily a replacement for processed words such as those
in inter-office memos, fax cover sheets (does anyone fax anymore, other than
the spammers?), and similar documents. I suspect that it would take a lot of
work to prepare a LyX style/LaTeX class for legal documents, government
agency regulations, and the like.

  It is a replacement for M$ Word, OO.o's Writer, AbiWord, etc. for the
preparation of certain documents, but not all. I don't think we want to give
potential users an incorrect impression that one size fits all when it comes
to text-oriented documents.

  And remember: power corrupts, PowerPoint corrupts absolutely.

Rich