Rich Shepard wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Michael Wojcik wrote:

It's an attribute, not a tag. And it's deprecated in HTML 4.0, and omitted
entirely in XHTML 1.0. The correct way to specify justification in
contemporary HTML is with a style.

  That's because xhtml has moved toward separation of content and
formatting, just as LaTeX/LyX does. The xhtml has the content and the css
has the formatting.

Yes, HTML is finally catching up with proper document markup languages like CTSS RUNOFF (invented in 1964) in that regard. Of course, RUNOFF led to Multics runoff, which led to Unix roff. As an undergrad I wrote papers in roff (with I think the "misc" macro package) and printed them with troff on an IBM mainframe laser printer. This was the late 1980s, and the results were pretty slick.

RUNOFF also seems to have led to IBM SCRIPT. Partly in response to difficulties with the RUNOFF family, Goldfarb, Mosher, and Lorie invented GML (also IBM, in 1969), which became SGML, which spawned HTML, then XML, then XHTML...

Those who forget the separation of presentation and content are doomed to reinvent it. But only after inculcating bad habits in most of their users.

(Note the Wikipedia pages for SCRIPT and GML are a bit confused, as usual, about the history and chronology. Goldfarb's own "Personal Recollection"[1] is a better source of information.)

Meanwhile, Knuth created TeX beginning in the late 1970s (the first TeXbook edition was 1982, I think), independently of the RUNOFF / GML families - though I'm sure he was aware of them. TeX of course incorporated significant features that other markup languages did not, such as the sophisticated layout algorithms and extensive support for typesetting mathematical notation. But it too separated content and presentation.

For that matter, HTML originally tried to separate content and presentation to some extent. That's why it had "strong" and "em[phasis]" tags, for example - presentation was the task of the user agent. But authors wanted more control over presentation (often for no good reason), and HTML became a mess of mixed markup. Modern XHTML plus external stylesheets is really the only way to restore a measure of sanity to HTML.

[1] http://www.sgmlsource.com/history/roots.htm

--
Michael Wojcik