I ended up using the sciposter class with the options
[landscape,a0,largefonts,plainsections] and the packages:
\usepackage{multicol}
\usepackage{sectionbox}
\usepackage{wallpaper}

This gave me a great A0 landscape poster with 3 columns, a wallpaper image and
text enclosed in boxes with a white background.

I put title, authors, logos and such in the preamble, together with the
definitions of the wallpaper and box colours.

Then, each section separator went in ERT:

ERT:\begin{sectionbox}{title}
ERT:\end{sectionbox}

ERT:\begin{subsectionbox}{subtitle}
ERT:\end{subsectionbox}

I used an APA bibtex bibliography too.

The columns were automatically and evenly distributed and the EPS figures and
LYX tables were all properly sized and layed out. I didn't worry about font
sizes or margins.

Hope this helps.

Mateo.