Dear list,

        I cannot convince Babel to use English as default language for date,
Toc,
etc. when I declare additional languages in the preamble. Has anyone run into
this problem?

My setup is the following:

I need to have several languages declared to Babel. So I have a line in my
preamble that declares them with:

\usepackage[greek, italian, german, french, english]{babel}

Since english is the last language declared, I was expecting to get Toc, date,
etc., in English. Not so. I get them in French, i.e., the next to last
language declared. English is apparently ignored, perhaps because it's has
already been declared by LyX.

The logical solution, I thought, would be to prevent LyX to load Babel when it
is explicitly loaded in the preamble, but I cannot find a way to do so. There
is a checkbox to that effect in the Preferences, but it does not seem to have
any effect on my problem.

The only workaround I found is to declare a language other than English as
default.

Am I missing something?

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy          Ph:  (979) 862-2211
University of Texas A&M           Fax: (979) 845-0458
305B Bolton Hall                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
College Station, TX 77843-4237